Rowlf the Dog is a Muppet character created by Jim Henson. He first appeared in 1962 in a series of commercials for Purina Dog Chow, but later reached national stardom as Jimmy Dean's sidekick on The Jimmy Dean Show from 1963 to 1966. Afterwards, he went on to serve as the resident piano player on The Muppet Show.
Appearances in Christmas specials
- The Jimmy Dean Show: Episode 214
- John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together - The first Muppets Christmas special in which Rowlf appears features him and John Denver singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". The duet was also featured on the companion album.
- A Muppet Family Christmas - In this 1987 special, Rowlf chases the Muppets' truck all the way to Emily Bear's farmhouse. Once there, Rowlf makes himself at home, communicating with Sprocket, playing "Sleigh Ride" on Emily's out-of-tune piano (which is cut from the NTSC video releases, due to Henson only securing the music rights for television), and joining in the festivities.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol - In this adaptation of A Christmas Carol, Rowlf makes a silent cameo appearance (Jim Henson had died by this point, and at the time, the Muppeteers felt that there wasn't yet a suitable performer to inherit the role); he is shown playing the piano during Fozziwig's Christmas party.
- It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
- A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa
- Lady Gaga & the Muppets' Holiday Spectacular
- "Single All the Way"
|This article about a character from either a Christmas movie, television episodic series or special with a Christmas theme is a stub. Please help to expand this article in the Christmas Specials Wiki.|