The Seven Dwarfs are a group of characters from the fairy tale Snow White by the Brothers Grimm. In most versions of the story, they befriend the titular princess and take her in to their cottage when she is forced to flee her stepmother, the Evil Queen. In return, she helps cooks and clean for the little men.
The dwarfs were indistinguishable from each other in the original story, but the 1937 animated adaptation by Walt Disney Productions famously gave each of them names and individual personalities - Doc, Happy, Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy, Sleepy, and Dopey. Also known collectively as the Disney Dwarfs, the studio's version of the Dwarfs continued to star in various comic book stories over the years following the film's release, notably appearing as regular helpers to Santa Claus in the annual Disney Christmas Story newspaper comic strip, and even got their own animated series, The 7D, in 2014.
Appearances in Christmas specials
- From All of Us to All of You - The Dwarfs have a cameo in the new animation produced for this 1958 compilation special. At the very end of the special, they appear among the characters listening to Jiminy Cricket performing "When You Wish Upon a Star" (though the animation of Dopey rubbing his nose in that scene is recycled from the 1937 original).
- Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse
- House of Mouse: "Pete's Christmas Caper"
- The 7D: "Gingersnaps and Grumpy Snaps/Jollybells"
- Rudolph's Shiny New Year - In this Rankin/Bass special, the Dwarfs are among the Island of 1023 residents, but are not actually seen. Their voices (all of which were provided by Don Messick) are only heard when Rudolph asks if they've seen the missing Happy.